Call of the Wild
One of Nature’s most spectacular offering – the rainforest – is the location of our explorations. You’re about to discover the Western Ghats, one of only 25 biodiversity hotspots in the world. In a landscape as sensational as the rainforest, each experience is unique unto its own.
Our objective on this adventure into the wild is to learn more about how one of the most important ecosystems – the rainforest – works. To realize our objective we will be accommodating you in one of the highest rated research stations of our country – Agumbe Rainforest Research Station (ARRS).
And while we are here, we will do our best to make sure that you get to encounter nature in all its glory and try and unravel its hidden charms. We will be going into the caves as well as up to the canopy of the rainforest to look for the life forms that are around us but unseen. The night walk through the jungle is an experience that you will never forget, and isn’t that the whole point of travelling?
Through all this, we will have the honour of being led by none other than Sanjeev Pednekar who has been one of the main trackers on the extensive King Cobra Telemetry Project conducting research in the rainforests of Agumbe. He has trained and led the wildlife rescue team in Bangalore under the banner of BBMP Forest Cell.
P.S. – This trip is a King Cobra special edition with some changes to the itinerary as well. We’ll be focusing both the days on King Cobras and the itinerary might be changed at the spot depending on circumstances.
Day 0 (Friday)
- Start from Bangalore at 9 PM in our mini-bus and get to know your fellow travelers
Day 1 (Saturday)
- Reach Agumbe early in the morning
- We start off with a bird watching session. There are countless species of birds one can spot around the area and Sanjeev will try and help us with spotting some of them.
- Have a hearty breakfastand freshen up for the activities ahead
- Do and Don’t instructions and a welcome talk from the Field In-charge of Agumbe Rainforest Research Station (ARRS)
- We head to a stream that flows around the property and walk along, in, and around it to explore the myriad living forms that make the stream their home
- Lunch at the base and then we go for canopy access – Jumaring up a 90 ft tree in the middle of a rain-forest is an experience you’re likely to remember for a long time.
- Exploration walk 1 – We head into the jungle after dark to try and see the animals that live in the rain-forest. Civet cats, Giant malabar squirrels, and various snakes and frogs are likely to make an appearance.
- We head to the base for dinner and some rest and then go for Exploration Walk 2
- Lights out at 11 PM as we have to start early the next day
Day 2 (Sunday)
- Wake up early in the morning and head to Kundadri Hill Temple for an amazing sunrise
- Have breakfast and move to Jogi Gundi Falls to relax in the water stream. This is a good place to spot a Checkered Keelback or two
- Move to the base for a yummy lunch
- We will try and get some shots of an elusive and endemic species of lizard known as the flying dragon or ‘Draco’
- Head to the famous sunset point to view the spectacular sunset Agumbe is famous for
- Post dinner we will leave for Bangalore to reach back for your Monday morning routine
Cost: ₹ 7,500
Early-Bird Price: ₹ 6,750 (Use coupon code – Early10!)
This price is all inclusive of the whole experience. We take care of all your meals, transportation, and accommodation needs.
Things to note
- This is a no frills trip. You will love us if you are looking for an adventurous weekend and making new friends. People looking for a luxury holiday for relaxation, you can give this one a miss.
- All aMadNomad trips follow a strict Leave No Trace policy. Please do not throw any plastic covers, bottles or any other garbage when you are travelling.
- Our bus starts from Kalamandir Bus Stop, Marathahalli and travels via the Outer Ring Road so you can hop on anywhere on the route. You can see the route map by clicking here.
- Cash and ATMs: The nearest city to Agumbe is Thirthahalli. There are no ATMs in or near Agumbe, do carry adequate cash for emergencies.
- Leave your pre-conceived notions behind, travel with an open mind, and you’ll be pleasantly surprised with what you find.
- We strongly recommend that you carry the following with you on the trip. In case you don’t have any of the items mentioned below, please inform us and we will try and arrange it for you.
- Sunscreen, hat
- Trekking Shoes/ Decent Sports Shoes
- Torch with extra batteries (Please avoid using your phones as torches, they drain very fast and then you have neither a torch nor a phone)
- A warm jacket in case it gets cold
- Rainproof clothing in the rainy season
- Insect repellant if you are prone to mosquito bites
- Camera and batteries / charger
- Prescription medicines, if any (And no, ganja is not a medicine :P)
“I went to the Agumbe trip with this group. Tour and management were awesome. Sanjeev and Ashish were too good to organize the event. Looking forward to join their next trip.”
“The Agumbe trip was great. Living in the jungle, Sanjeev’s expert jungle walks, sightings of endemic animals and befriending strangers. A first and a truly amazing experience!”