The Lost Trail
Have you ever wondered what an unexplored place looks like? Ever had any thoughts about how the tribals of our country live? How would you like to go on an exploration expedition deep inside a virgin jungle and stay with ancient hunting tribals? A place where the only footsteps that have fallen are of the tribal people who have lived there for centuries. A trek which demands of you the strength and perseverance that mere mortals do not have.
aMadNomad brings you the ultimate Nomadic experience in one of the most ancient forests of our country, deep inside the Nilgiris. We head to Kotagiri, a quaint hill station close to Ooty, and from there our adventure starts. We will be trekking down to the floor of the forest where the river runs and camp next to a waterfall. And when we say trekking, please understand that this is the real stuff, the wild stuff – there is no path, no set route, and an abundance of wildlife all around. We carry all our provisions for both the days, camp under the stars, sleep next to a fire to keep the wild animals at bay, cook our own food, and make a new path in case we encounter an elephant or a bear. Complete this trip and make all your friends go green with envy as you recount the superhuman experience you’ve just had.
If you think you have it in you to join us for this trip, go ahead and fill up the form by clicking the button below.
Day 0 (Friday)
- Start from Bangalore at 9 PM in our mini-bus and get to know your fellow travelers
Day 1 (Saturday)
- Reach Kotagiri early in the morning and eat your fill of Idlis and Vadas
- We move to the trek starting point and say goodbye to civilization as we move into the wild for the next 2 days
- Start the trek down towards the valley through a jungle so thick that we will have to cut through the vegetation to create a path
- Stop for a quick lunch on the way
- Reach the river bed and set up camp in the valley right next to a flowing river and surrounded on all sides by the mountains.
- Learn how to start a fire and cook your own dinner with the provisions we’ll all be carrying
- Watch the sunset and the darkness creep in on you as the jungle comes to life in the night
- After dinner, we light up a bonfire, share stories, and sleep under the stars
Day 2 (Sunday)
- Wake up early to a misty morning and thank god that you were not eaten by any animals in the night 😛
- We go explore the area around our campsite after breakfast. There are some amazing views and a couple of waterfalls that will leave you in raptures of ecstasy
- Pack up the camp and start heading back
- We stop for a lunch that includes tandoori rotis cooked over charcoal and dal! Yummy!
- Start the final ascent and reach a small Irula settlement by around 6 PM where we’ll have tea and chat about the experience
- Have dinner and leave for Bangalore so that we reach the city by Monday morning 5-6 AM
Cost: ₹ 6,500/-
The price will include the whole experience. We take care of all your meals, transportation, and accommodation needs.
Things to note
- **This is a hardcore adventurous trip. We will be traversing through thick jungles with no set path and an abundance of wildlife. We will be miles away from any sort of civilization or society. You have to be reasonably fit and be prepared for any eventuality to come on this trip. People looking for a fun holiday or something relaxing, you can give this one a miss.**
- We will be evaluating all the applicants before selecting the final participants for this trip. This is for your own safety so please do not ask us to make an exception for you.
- All aMadNomad trips follow a strict Leave No Trace policy. Please do not throw any plastic covers, bottles or any other garbage when you are travelling.
- Our bus starts from Silk Board Bus Stop and travels via the Outer Ring Road so you can hop on anywhere on the route. The route map will be mailed to you on the completion of the booking.
- Cash and ATMs: The nearest city to Kotagiri is Ooty. Although there are ATMs in Ooty, do carry adequate cash for emergencies.
- Leave your pre-conceived notions behind, travel with an open mind, and you’ll be pleasantly surprised with what you find.
- We strongly recommend that you carry the following with you on the trip. In case you don’t have any of the items mentioned below, please inform us and we will try and arrange it for you.
- Sunscreen, hat
- Trekking Shoes
- Torch with extra batteries (Using your phones as torches will not be entertained, they drain very fast and then you have neither a torch nor a phone)
- A warm jacket as it can get very cold
- Rainproof clothing in the rainy season
- Insect repellant if you are prone to mosquito bites
- Camera and batteries / charger
- Prescription medicines, if any (And no, ganja is not a medicine :P)
- Please do not carry too much extra stuff with you. This is a hard trek and every extra gram counts. You will have to carry some provisions for the 2 days you spend in the jungle so please take that into account as well.
“It’s going to be awesome. Trust us :)”